Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Memorial Day Reflections- An end to war.




As I was having reflections on Memorial Day last night, and praying
for those who are presently in service to our country, I thought about
the day when wars will end and peace will rule for eternity. What
warrior (or rational human being for that matter) has not dreamed of
that day?

During my final few years in the U.S. Air Force, I was stationed on
a Strategic Air Command (SAC) base, where nuclear armed B-52G
bombers were on constant alert and readiness to go into nuclear war.
Each of the five alert ready B-52's were capable of unleashing more
firepower than hundreds of World War II bombers combined. I'll
never forget the motto of SAC, which was, "Peace is our profession".
I always thought that was an interesting motto. It seems that these
nuclear combat ready aircrews that flew incredibly powerful war
machines did not want war, but were ready to put a swift end to it if
they were dispatched into an operational environment. I always
thought that this was a sobering thought. But, an equally sobering and
yet encouraging thought is the swift and final conclusion to warfare
which is described in the Bible, and what we know as the Battle of
Armageddon.

I heard a sermon a few months ago about this battle that brought
something to my attention that I had never seen before. The entire
scene of this final epic battle between good and evil is presented in
Revelation, chapter 16. Here is my favorite part of the passage:

"And he gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew
tongue Armageddon. And the seventh angel poured out his vial into
the air; and there came a great voice out of the temple of heaven,
from the throne [of God], saying, "It is done!"

I love that. "It is done" in the Greek can actually be written as one
word- "τελείωσε". So basically, God is going to say one word, and
the battle is won! I want to be on His side, don't you? Think of it.
With more power than all the nuclear weapons combined, all the evil
forces that have ever been and all of Satans armies are going to be
defeated at the speaking of one command and Word from God.

And then war will be over, once and for all..

Thank you Prince of Peace (Jesus) for making all of this possible.

Blessings,
George

No comments:

Post a Comment