Friday, July 21, 2023

The Hamburger Story




I hadn't thought about my experiences with "Mama" Geraldine in quite some time, and I had one more story come to mind to tell you. It's the hamburger story.


One day I was over at her Newnan apartment having Bible study around her breakfast table. A knock came at the door. A little girl gave Geraldine a bag with a few packages of frozen hamburger in it. Geraldine came back to the table with the hamburger and started to cry (tears of joy). I asked her what was the matter? She told me the rest of the story.

A few days earlier she was in Walmart in Newnan buying groceries, with her food stamps. She was looking at the hamburger and had her purse out, checking to see if she had enough money to buy a package. A hand came up from behind her and placed some money on top of the meat beside where she was looking. It was enough to buy the hamburger. She turned around and there was no one around. So she bought the hamburger and came home.

Sometime later, a little girl stopped by to ask Geraldine if she had any hamburger she could spare for her mother to make dinner. (It is not uncommon for folks in poorer neighborhoods to share food like this, of course). Geraldine said she thought about it, and knew she had to let that special hamburger go. So, she gave it to the girl.

Then days later, the little girl brought back a bag of hamburger and gave it to her, telling her  thank you from mama.
 
I told Geraldine that if a dump truck suddenly drove up and dumped a load of hamburger in your yard right now, it wouldn't surprise me! God was taking good care of her.

Geraldine wasn't rich by the world's standards, but she was rich in faith. 

James 2:5 reminds me of her:
"Listen, my beloved brethren: Has God not chosen the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him?"


Blessings,
George

No comments:

Post a Comment