Friday, November 18, 2016

Jesus loves me this I know













This children’s hymn was written in 1860 by Anna Bartlett Warner. Since then it has become one of the most loved Christian songs of all time, providing comfort to children and adults alike.
Karl Barth was one of the most influential theologians of the 20th century, and possibly of all time. Indeed, Pope Pius XII referred to Barth as the most important theologian since Thomas Aquinas – who died in 1274. That’s high praise coming from a Pope, especially since Barth was a Protestant.
What does Karl Barth have to do with a well known children's hymn? After he retired, Barth toured the United States, delivering lectures at various universities. At a Q&A session after one lecture, a student asked Barth if he could summarize his life’s work in one sentence. Barth responded,
Yes, I can. In the words of a song I learned at my mother’s knee: Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so.
Barth stridently believed that we know God when we know Jesus.
So, there you have it. Feel free to read Barth’s 9,000 pages of "Church Dogmatics", but in the end, all you really need to know you learned in a children’s song.
Jesus loves me! This I know,
For the Bible tells me so;
Little ones to Him belong,
They are weak but He is strong.
[chorus] Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
The Bible tells me so.
Jesus loves me! He who died,
Heaven's gate to open wide;
He will wash away my sin,
Let His little child come in.
[chorus]
Jesus loves me! loves me still,
When I'm very weak and ill;
From His shining throne on high,
Comes to watch me where I lie.
[chorus]
Jesus loves me! He will stay,
Close beside me all the way;
He's prepared a home for me,
And some day His face I'll see.
[chorus]

No comments:

Post a Comment